BEST wire stripping machines?

Home Forums Scrap Metal Discussions Tools & Equipment for the Job BEST wire stripping machines?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by 10FingersAnd10Toes 10FingersAnd10Toes 10 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

wires n lights
    Participant

I have been thinking of buying or building/making a wire stripping machine so that I can get the best price with the work involved stripping the wire.

I noticed that the better powered machines are a bit pricey at $800.00 and on up.

As I have many tons of copper wire that I have saved up over the years and with the difference in the price of stripped and non-stripped being what it is. It might be worth the investment for me to buy a pricey machine that is proven to be worth the investment.

The simple wire stripping machines that I have seen pictures of that sell for under $100.00 I can build myself from parts I have on hand and could even make it powered to a degree.

But since I have so much wire that could be ran through a stripping machine I’m wondering if it wouldn’t be a wise investment for me to look into buying one of the factory made powered machines that can do most all sizes of wire.

I don’t plan on stripping wire for another year or so as I will be busy just getting a few tons of it ready for stripping as I have it all over my place and it will take me awhile to get it sorted into the different types and sizes.

I’m in no great rush to haul my scrap to the yards as the price always goes up more then it comes down. Just doing my research and homework so that I’m ready.

I have been working on sorting the aluminum over the last year as I also have many tons of that and it takes up more room so I want to get that sort of scrap ready to go.

I put aside the aluminum that is worth more for use then scrap and piling up the different types of out right scrap aluminum into their different piles, containers and pallets.

I will look over items such as aluminum car rims to see if they are nice enough to sell as rims and stacking the ones that are crap onto pallets in the out right scrap area.

The cast iron, steel and such will be later as there is so much of that here that I will be working on that for awhile getting it sorted.

But anyway, anyone have any experience with the different wire strippers that are on the market? As I’m a old man of so called senior citizen age I figure that a powered machine that requires the least effort to operate would be my best bet.

Adam

You may want to check out StripTec machines. We know that several scrap yards and scrappers use them and they are also an iScrap App partner. Contact them and ask for a iScrap App Discount, they can help you out. Let me know if you need help at all.

wires n lights
      Participant

Hello Virginia, I have been putting thought into a wire stripping machine for a few years and the Strip Tec model 1000 is one that I had put on my list. I don’t have my list handy as it’s in a file in a cabinet that I can’t get at easily now. I remember that there was a company in Canada that made a nice machine that interested me the most for some reasons that I can’t remember now.

I notice that the model 1000 is about $3250.00 at this time. I did some more reading up on it and it is the type of machine that would best suit my needs. Wish I could remember what it was that I liked more about the Canadian made machine. It wasn’t the cost as the Canadian machine was around the same cost from what I remember.

I still have time to research it more and I will be able to get at the file cabinet that has my notes on them later this year. I have what could be called a organized mess. So much stuff that I’m moving things around and have some of my inside work areas packed with boxes of good things that needed a place to sit for now.

Out of curiosity, what sort of “discount”? As I stated I’m in no rush. I have a 5 year plan on my “scrap program”. I started last year, so 4 to go as my plan requires so that I can realize the BE$T profit with the work and time required.

Adam

David
    David
    Participant

Just a suggestion here. From your descriptions of your place I am guessing that you might be a lot like a friend of mine. He collects a lot of stuff with good intentions but then has a hard time letting it go. If you have that much wire I suggest that you buy the most expensive machine that you can afford, it will pay for itself in short order with the amount of wire you have. Then use it. Get started taking items to the scrap yard. It will be a different type of thrill that collecting it, sell all of it and instead of collecting and keeping things use the profits to begin a new chapter in life of collecting and then quickly selling it. Imagine how much more stuff will go through your hands if you keep it moving in and out.

David
    David
    Participant

I say to buy the best machine that you can afford because I feel like most of the time you get what you pay for.

I’m not 100% sure of the discount amount. Like I said I know we work with them and they tell us to let our audience know to mention the iScrap App when you are looking to buy from StripTec. You can ask for Kirk and say that I sent you over, they may be able to work on a price with you. Hope you find what you’re looking for regardless! 🙂

wires n lights
    Participant

Hello David, The salvaging and collecting/hoarding that I did over the years was all “hobby related” in that it was what I did in my “spare time” while I wasn’t working jobs that paid well.

I basically didn’t bother with scraping and selling much as I was busy doing other things and I wasn’t in any rush on it and I’m still not as even tho I like keeping busy so I don’t rust away, I learned over the years that being in a rush was one of the main causes of stress in people.

I prefer to avoid the stress and fast pace of the “rat race” as less stress is best in my opinion.

When people visit my place for the first time they comment on how organized things out in the yard are as I have pathways that are lined with wood pallets that have similar items on them. Pallets with things such as satellite dishes, plumbing fixtures, aluminum tubing, truck parts and such. Then there are piles of old bicycles, lawnmowers, old exercise equipment and such.

I have the many vehicles lined up along pathways and in groups around the yard and they are all filled with like items. I have 2 small cars that are filled with sewing machines and parts, others that might have telephones and such to give you a ideal. Many are filled with copper wire, brass and such.

I have always liked to plan ahead as best I could for being ready to sell at a later time. Now is the time to prepare for selling and use the funds for other things.

I have never believed in having or using credit cards and getting loans from banks and such as I believed it was wise to live within my means. I’m 100% debt free as can be and Live a simple type Lifestyle that suits me. I have always preferred my own company very much as I like to do a lot of deep thinking about the world around me and most everything that I do.

Haste makes waste and causes stress is VERY true I have learned over the years. I have never been married and have no children as the “Al Bundy married with children” lifestyle wasn’t for me. I’m more the Indiana Jones type as I did a lot of traveling around the U.S.  A bit of travel in Canada and Mexico and even spent a few years in Europe in my younger days.

I enjoy planning ahead and setting goals that are possible. What is Life all about anyway? I view it as a learning experience as in my travels and time on this earth I have seen and experienced many things and met many interesting people including so called celebrities.

As for a wire stripping machine, It will be a StripTec model 1000 or similar machine as most of the copper wire I have is smaller gauge so I don’t require the larger machines that do the larger wire. I figure that I can sell or trade off the machine I end up with when I’m done using it.

Adam

wires n lights
    Participant

Hello Virginia, I thank you for the reply on the discount. I won’t need a wire stripper for a year or so as there is no rush on it as I plan of getting all the wire I have sorted and ready. I have copper wire that is still usable also that I won’t scrap as it’s worth far more for use then scrap.

I’m just doing my homework and research on it at this time. I have been working on getting the aluminum ready as I figure that I can use the funds from selling some of that on a wire stripping machine.

Adam

10FingersAnd10Toes
    10FingersAnd10Toes
    Participant

Hey Adam,
    If you haven’t purchased a wire stripping solution yet, the Canadian company I know is TNT Tooling. They have units ranging from around $70 for a manual solution (I have this unit and it is a fantastic value) to comprehensive powered solutions running around $1,700. They currently have all their units on sale, not sure for how long. Here are the quick specs on their powered solutions:

• WSX $249.00, regular $399.00
  • – 18 – 3AWG solid or stranded,
  • – Strips undamaged rubber and plastic insulated wires,
  • – 450 in/ minute,
  • – tool steel blade stripping system,
  • – drill powered – not included
  • WSR $249.00, regular $429.00
  • – 10, 12, 14AWG solid,
  • – Strips undamaged rubber and plastic insulated wires
  • – 450 in/ minute,
  • – Rollers crushing stripping system – no blades
  • WSM $499.00, regular $799.00
  • – 16AWG – 1.625DIA,
  • – 391 in/ minute,
  • WS83 $1,199.00, regular $1,699.00
  • – 16AWG – 1.625DIA,
  • – 250 in/ minute,
  • – Bodine gear motor included
  • Disclosure: I am Canadian but I’m not associated with TNT Tooling in anyway other than being a very satisfied purchaser of their manual wire stripping tool. I hope I haven’t violated any forum rules by providing the above manufacturer information

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Need help? Contact us using this form and we will get back to you as soon as we can.