Compressors

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Rudy Muscetta 1 week, 5 days ago.

• Author
    scrapman77
    scrapman77
    Participant

Hello everyone!
    So this seems to be a tough question. I have 22 compressors from air conditioners on hand. One yard told me to bring them drained(they already are) and they would give me 12 cents a pound. The other says put the time in and cut them open and I will have a pile of copper. I own a grinder and have plenty of cutting wheels. Is there anyone who has done it? Is my pile worth the time? Should i get more and then cut them up? Any help would be great. Thanks everyone….

jamesandyman
    Participant

I cut them open and separate the copper from the steel. Not alot of people do where I turn my scrap in though. Many have aluminum in them as well.

johnwwx1
    Participant

cut them up

Madam
    Participant

Cut ’em
    I cut all mine open with an angle grinder only. Love them and the oil makes the copper come off real easy. I drain the oil and save it to treat wooded shovel handles and the like

scrapman77
    scrapman77
    Participant

Thanks for the advice everyone! I got quite a bit of copper from them so it seems to be worth it to me to take them apart also. Some were aluminum windings. Any value to stripping that off and seperating it too?

Rudy Muscetta
    Participant

If it’s worth it to you, strip the aluminum windings too, I’ve never seen one with aluminum windings though.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Need help? Contact us using this form and we will get back to you as soon as we can.