Electronics cables are what type?

Home Forums Scrap Metal Discussions E-Scrap Scrapping Section Electronics cables are what type?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  JardCrocker 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author

RFiehler
    Participant

HI,

I am just getting started in scrapping. I have access to a lot of electronics cables and cords. Are they worth scrapping? There are so many classifications, I’m not sure what they are considered. Is it worth taking the time to strip them? Or just remove the ends?

Please help. I am anxious to get started but don’t know the best way.
    Thanks.
    Roni

Yes they are worth scrapping. They will usually go as a insulated wire price. It is worth it to take the ends off and check if your scrap yard can accept them separately for a different price (usually a lot less).

See details on insulated wire here: http://iscrapapp.com/metals/insulated-copper-wire/

10FingersAnd10Toes
    10FingersAnd10Toes
    Participant

These are official categories but they are how I divide mine up. Note: Boardsort.com will buy gold plated cable ends so I cut off the ends on network cables, Serial, Parallel, Printer, etc.

1. Any cables from the inside of a computer, appliances, TV, etc except power supply wires. Remove ends, separating out the ones with gold ends label as insulated data cabling.
    2. Power supply wiring – sorted out as Insulated Copper wire
    3. For power supply cables, cables that connect the device to the power outlet, and larger diameter cables. I cutoff the ends (the blades are often chromed brass) and strip the cable using a manual wiring striping block from TNT Tooling. Stripped wire classed as #1 and #2TNT Manual Wire Stripping Block

mrbenaka
    Participant

So inside the computer the ones with gold ends will actually be labeled as insulated data cabling? And are those ones you sell to Boardsort.com?

With power supply cables, how do I know if it’s supposed to be classed as #1 or #2?

What about the cables that used to run between phones and jacks or the data cables that connect radio components? Do those all have copper in them as well that should be stripped out? Do they have other metals to strip out? Are there wires and cables not worth scrapping or do they all have value?

I’ve only recycled mixed metals and aluminum cans over the years and am looking to expand what I scrap as I’m a stay at home dad wanting to contribute a little cash to the budget. Any advice is welcome!

Darksky1x
    Darksky1x

>mrbenaka, you said “So inside the computer the ones with gold ends will actually be labeled as insulated data cabling? “

A little clarity here, does not matter if it’s inside or outside, if the intended purpose of the cable is to transfer data between tWo components, not only the cable ends BUT ALSO the ports the cables connect too will almost always have gold plated pins to make the connection with. Gold does not corrode or tarnish, that’s why it’s used for data connectors. Notice I said “almost always”, reason being that some of the really cheap, low quality imported cables will not use gold to save production costs. Additionally, more and more manufacturers are starting to reconsider the use of golD and are switching to silver.

Reason for the change is the owners and users of most computer equipment do not keep the components as long as they used to, opting instead to trade their old equipment in for the newest, latest and greatest computers on the market. Since they don’t keep the items as long the manufacturers figure that silver will last long enough until they update to a new computer

I mix all of those wires and cables in with my insulated wire

>mrbenaka, you said, “With power supply cables, how do I know if it’s supposed to be classed as #1 or #2?”

If you strip the insulation from the power cords most scrap yards actually have a special classification for that wire known as, “Clean and Bright”. Clean and Bright will earn you a few pennies more per pound than #1 copper will. A few of the yards don’t do the “Clean and Bright” classification and the uninsulated wire will always be #1 copper. Not sure where the #2 came from but that only applies for items that can’t meet the #1 or C&B categorizes.

>mrbenaka, you said, “What about the cables that used to run between phones and jacks or the data cables that connect radio components? Do those all have copper in them,” YES
    “as well that should be stripped out?” ABSOLUTELY NOT</strong
    “Do they have other metals to strip out?” NEVER STRIP ANY WIRE OR CABLE THAT IS THAT SMALL, NOT WORTH THE TIME AND/OR EFFORT!
    “Are there wires and cables not worth scrapping or do they all have value?THEY ALL HAVE VALUE!

JardCrocker
    Participant

Hi…i am a new user here. As per my experience it usually go as a insulated wire price. It is worth it to take the ends off and check if your scrap yard can accept them separately for a different price.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Need help? Contact us using this form and we will get back to you as soon as we can.