Escrap why so hard to get a fair price from your local scrapyards

Home Forums Scrap Metal Discussions Scrap Metal Q & A Escrap why so hard to get a fair price from your local scrapyards

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Darksky1x Darksky1x 3 days, 23 hours ago.

• Author

mucho loco
    Participant

I have been saving my escrap for two years and now I’m ready to sell but I can not find one local place to go the scrapyard I take all my other metal scrap to only pays 10 cents a lb for escrap and across the bridge in Louisville ky I found a place that takes sorted escrap and I was very disapointed when I got my cash ticket why such a wide range in price and other scrapers seem tight liped on the subject or don’t know I just want to make the most money out of what I got and now not finding near the amount of cellphones,laptops,home pc am I just not looking in the right places to sell local can I become a local buyer any info or options would be appreciated I’m ready to try and make some money

I think it’s mainly due to the lack of education and information on e-scrap. A lot of scrap yards don’t know enough about e-scrap or have the proper certificates to buy it so it’s difficult for them to gauge the market.There are several places that accept mail-in scrap, including our sister company Rockaway Recycling. https://rockawayrecycling.com/

I think it’s mainly due to the lack of education and information on e-scrap. A lot of scrap yards don’t know enough about e-scrap or have the proper certificates to buy it so it’s difficult for them to gauge the market.There are several places that accept mail-in scrap, including our sister company Rockaway Recycling. https://rockawayrecycling.com/

Darksky1x
    Darksky1x

mucho loco. even though e-scrap has been around a few years now it really is very new to the scrap industry. Virginia is right, most metal scrap yards are so set in their ways they don’t give e-scrap a second thought.

She’s also right about the mail-in places that buy e-scrap. Problem with those places is you have to pay for the shipping and if you aren’t careful all your profits evaporate in shipping cost. Everyone is different, but IMHO the mail-in e-scrap places aren’t worth it as long as you have to eat the shipping.

I sell all the basic base metals like copper, aluminum, steel, insulated wire, nickle and so on to my local yards depending on who has the best price that day.

As far as all other e-scrap I sell it on ebay. Anything that has gold or gold plating, Tantalum Caps, MLCC Caps, CPUs, Gold finger cards, and so on all go on ebay. I’ve found that not only can I get more on ebay for those items than the mail in places will pay for the same items, I also get to push the shipping charges off on the buyer. Far as I am concerned that’s a win-win situation.

The only e-scrap that I don’t sell on ebay is the PCBs. I strip all PCBs down (de-populate) so the only thing left is the basic board and those I sell to my local yard for $0.15 cents a pound. I wait until I have a couple of hundred pounds before I sell them That way it’s worth the gas and time to take them to the local yard

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Need help? Contact us using this form and we will get back to you as soon as we can.