I need advice on everything cell phone scrapping

Home Forums Scrap Metal Discussions E-Scrap Scrapping Section I need advice on everything cell phone scrapping

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Darksky1x Darksky1x 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Dane Wilson
    Participant

ok what are these wire strips? worth how should I scrap them?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Dane Wilson
    Participant

What would this be classified as and possible value per lb.? its gold-plated pins and all types gold plated stuff that I cut from multiple different Electronics SIM cards

Attachments:

Dane Wilson
    Participant

My lineup so far

Attachments:
    Darksky1x
    Darksky1x

Dane>, “ok what are these wire strips? worth how should I scrap them?”

1) In the first two pictures: Most people call those “Flexible Ribbon Cables”, however that’s not entirely correct. What they actually are is “Flexible Copper Circuits” and they have several advantages when compared to PCB Circuitry. First, they are very light weight as compared to their PCB equivalent. Second, they are thinner than their PCB equivalent.and Third, they tend to require less cooling as compared to their PCB equivalent.

The ends (fingers that fit into the) connectors are normally gold plated but can also be either silver or tin.

As far as value, if the fingers are gold, cut them off and save. The flat rectangular chips that are part of the cables are IC Chips and will almost always have gold wiring inside, so remove those and save. What’s left (the flat ribbons cables) you can also save and scrap for their copper value, but do not mix them with your other wire, save them separately.

Collectively, everything you are holding in the second picture is worth around $0.25. You need a lot more before there is any real value associated with the items.

Darksky1x
    Darksky1x

Dane> “What would this be classified as and possible value per lb.? its gold-plated pins and all types gold plated stuff that I cut from multiple different Electronics SIM cards”

Dane, as a group, the items you are holding have no value, individually that’s a different story. Here’s the problem, no one who mighty be interested in purchasing any of the different components will not buy them as a lot.

NEVER mix and mingle any of the e-scrap items you are saving to sale at a later date. Someone who purchase items like these for recovery/refining of PM’s ALWAYS groups like items together for processing. The recovery process and chemicals required for recovery/refining of gold plated pins is entirely different and far more labor intensive then what’s required for SIMM Cards. SIMM Cards require less chemicals and far less labor.

Gold plated items are an entirely different process than the two mentioned above and most refiners will process those in a “stripping Cell”. Different chemicals and different process entirely. So, you see, mixing differently e-scrap components together is useless to both you and a refiner.

Don’t feel bad though, the first time I actually tried my had at recovery/refining of PM’s from e-scrap I had all sort’s of different e-scrap mixed together. Not only did I waste my time, I lost everything I was hoping to recovery. Expensive lesson but I considered it the “Cost of my education into the Wonder World of E-Scrap”!

What I would recommend you do is save all of the SIMM Cards until you get two to five pounds of them collected. You should be able to unload them at a very nice price to a perspective buyer then.

Same with the gold pins. Once you have anywhere from three to five pounds saved up you are ready to start looking around for a buyer.

Again, same with the gold plated items, collect a few pounds and then look for a buyer. One thing to remember with gold plated items, they don’t adhere to the same rules most other e-scrap items do, namely it’s OK to mix and mingle gold plated items in the same lot as long as they are ALL gold plated. Because they will be processed in a “Stripping Cell”, the chemicals and process used to strip the gold plating is the same for all plated items, so mix away! **ONE NOTE-NEVER mix gold plated pins with any other gold plated items, ALWAYS keep the gold pins separate from all other items, plated on otherwise!

Most refiners have minimum weight limits for items like gold pins, SIMM Cards and/or other gold plated e-scrap. That minimum weight limit will vary from refiner to refiner

Darksky1x
    Darksky1x

Dane> “My lineup so far”

Looks like you are making progress. Are you planning to remove all of them boards from their casing before shipping them i?

Hope you don’t mind me asking, bu If not, what made you decide to strip the few broads that you have in your pictures?

ScrapPinky
    ScrapPinky
    Participant

That’s a good bunch of phones, just curious do you buy them or just come across them while scraping?

Dane Wilson
      Participant

Darksky I decided to strip down one of each kind of phone I had to see which one had the most gold and board/phone weight ratio Yeah I think I lost money breaking down the phones I had 48 lbs and broke down 10 lbs of phones got 2.2lbs of circuit boards I was getting $3.75 a pound for whole phone without battery that is $180 so now I have 38lbs at $3.75 and 2.2 lbs circuit boards at $9.00/lb that totals $162.30 the type of phones I have are older and heavy so it’s not coming better to break them down .. oh and scrappinky I came across these phones helping a friend clean out office space he had leased and was going to throw them away but I told I would keep them and see if I could scrap them I knew there was a market for them because I had researched gold recovery before

ScrapPinky
    ScrapPinky
    Participant

Awesome!

Darksky1x
    Darksky1x

Dane, what’s it costing you to ship the intact phones?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Need help? Contact us using this form and we will get back to you as soon as we can.