rear projection tv

Home Forums Scrap Metal Discussions Scrap Metal Q & A rear projection tv

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Ken Porter 1 week, 6 days ago.

• Author
    treasurehunter
    treasurehunter
    Participant

My rear projection tv went out and because of my natural curiosity I opened it up to look.
    I got the magnifier, lenses, mirror out and I got some scrapple materials too.
    My big question is what do I do now with what is left. I’m showing some pictures of it.
    What’s in it? Should I bother disassembling it more? Should it just go to the e-waste recycler the way it is?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    treasurehunter
    treasurehunter
    Participant

It’s good I figured it out. DO NOT open the red, green, and blue lamps.
    There is a fluid inside similar to antifreeze, while it degrades easily since it is 30% ethanol it is best to just not open it.
    you can still clip all the wiring circuit boards and copper comes off of them similar to what you would do with a CRT tv.

Darksky1x
    Darksky1x

>treasurehunter, rear projector TV’s have a couple of 3 channel convergence correction circuit IC for video projectors. Responsible for Analog & Mixed-Signal Processing.

When I tore into my RPTV I actually got 2 from inside. They have between 2 to 3 grams of gold in them (that’s 2 to 3 grams AFTER refining) here’s what they look like.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Darksky1x Darksky1x.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

scolettijr
    Participant

Treasure Hunter – I do open them and collect the fluids. I’m able to drop them at our hazardous waste facility. Someone is going to have to deal with it at some point, and I know it’s there and what it is, so no accidental spills and see that it goes where it needs to go. As a plus, the casing is usually cast aluminum.

Ken Porter
    Participant

Thanks for all the info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can this fluid be neutralized by using regular kitty litter?

mbohm
    Participant

I removed the plastic from the IC chips that you mentioned had 2 grams of gold each. I did not see any gold. There six small squares that looked like aluminum. Where exactly is this gold?

Darksky1x
      Darksky1x

The six small squares are what you are looking for. If you take a sharp object and scratch the side of one you will see the gold under the silver coating.

It’s kinda of deceiving just too look at them, all you see is the silver coating.

Darksky1x
      Darksky1x

I removed the 6 boxes, busted the stone off the top and flattened them out to make processing easier.

I believe the wires are silver but I have not tested or processed them yet. After removing the boxes I put the chips aside to process later.

I would be surprised if the wires and plating are not silver.

Ken Porter
    Participant

Sorry!! I was referring to the fluid in a projection tv.

This is the what I was referring to, I copied it so you could read it. Sorry, for the confusion!!!

scolettijr

Participant

Treasure Hunter – I do open them and collect the fluids. I’m able to drop them at our hazardous waste facility. Someone is going to have to deal with it at some point, and I know it’s there and what it is, so no accidental spills and see that it goes where it needs to go. As a plus, the casing is usually cast aluminum.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Need help? Contact us using this form and we will get back to you as soon as we can.