rip off

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Christopher Davis 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

lindaloohoo
    Participant

Hello all, I was getting pretty good at the scrap thing, even the guy at the scale said how organized and clean it was. It was a pick up truck load, of all my specialty metals as i call it, been saving it up for pay day. I had everything written down in my little book, the scrap i was turning in that is. Very little steel but forgot a couple small things so had to back on the scale. long story short, got my check, looking at it seemed way less than what i thought it to be, but it was 5:00 so went home. because of the fact that i went back on the scale again, there was 214 lbs of weight unaccounted for. seemed to be all my copper wire. long story short, called, boss on vaca, went there 3 times, the 3rd time i waited half the day in the yard for him to return. (I called before i left home, he was there.) I still had not even cashed the check.
    It was all there in black and white, and still he would not give me what was mine, my money for my copper wire, it could not have been any more clear or proof, with the receipt from them, my notes, the scale guy remember me, and the wire, the owner/boss ended up giving me about 1/4 of what it should have been. Now this scrap yard in kitsap county did not have to handle my scrap again, they were going to make a buck off me, which is fine, i don’t have a problem with that. And i had learned the hard way on some other things that they could have told me, cuz i had been loyal to them, bringing them some good stuff, but getting shit pay cuz 3 pieces of a truck load of no.1 steel was over 4′ long, my fault, i learned, what but when they straight out, basically stole it from me, not that i was scraping every week but trying to do my part and recycle to cut down on the garbage, the throw away world we live in. I’m done scrapping, sad. but done. the moral of the story is: “long story short” is not really correct! ha ha! thanks!

Scrapper
    Participant

Hate that for you. We don’t make hardly anything for what we do and to get ripped off blatently on top of it makes it hard to keep scrapping. I have to go to the “giant” yards because of this problem and have to deal with their not taking stuff or grading it differently than what I would have. But the smaller yards ripped me off with their “off” scales and dirty rules. Hopefully you have another yard nearby that makes it worth driving too to keep selling your scrap.

Darksky1x
    Darksky1x

lindaloohoo,

That’s the pits that you had too experience that. Unfortunately, that is the nature of the scrap metal industry. Just when you think you have actually found a scrap yard that you can trust; one that is different from the rest; and let your guard down for one second, they stick it too you as deep as they can shove it in!

The yards know that they can rip you off and get away with it because there is always some new, unsuspecting scrapper just waiting to “cash in” on that “easy money” from all the old metal junk they have laying around. It’s a real shame the yards have to operate on the “shady side” but that is the nature of the beast.

The golden rule of the day, “Stick it too your customer before they stick it too you” is ALWAYS their first rule of the day! In the future, keep your guard up.

Here’s an article you should read that outlines many of the “sneaky tricks” the yards like to pull on scrappers

Sneaky Tricks

Sorry for your problems and I know this don’t help much, but consider it the cost of your “scrapper” education. We all pay the price sooner or later

Christopher Davis
    Participant

I’ve been lucky to find a good yard. I go to Sims in trenton, NJ, and I won’t go anywhere else. Anyhoo I made the rookie mistake of not getting a price upfront a few months ago. I was picking up 2 truckloads worth in Doylestown pa, and took the first load to a yard over there. I got 2.50 per hundred, and would’ve gotten 5.00 in trenton NJ at the time. Luckily, I only gave them a few big pieces, and saved the good stuff for sims.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Need help? Contact us using this form and we will get back to you as soon as we can.